Acorn Insurance

Road Risk Insurance

Motor trader's road risk insurance allows you to drive any vehicle trusted to your care
Get a Quote Now

Road Risk Cover For
Motor Traders

A road risk insurance policy allows motor traders to drive any vehicle that is under their custody or control for motor trade business purposes. This cover is vital when a motor trader has several customers’ vehicles, and/or stock vehicles, within their care.

Acorn’s road risk insurance is designed for an individual, individuals or a company operating a business within the UK motor trade industry.

From buying and selling cars to servicing vehicles, the motor trade industry in the UK is extremely varied. There is, however, a major difference between a standard motor policy and a motor trade insurance policy.

Do I Need Road Risk Insurance?

You are required by law to have road risk insurance, as a minimum, if you are involved in any way with the servicing, repairing or buying and selling of cars. In short, this type of cover will protect you if your business requires that you will need to operate vehicles that you do not personally own.

Acorn’s road risk insurance policy covers your vehicles, your customers’ vehicles and your business against any hazards you may encounter when driving these on public roads. It ensures that you and the vehicle are correctly covered in the event of any mishaps and is crucial for protecting any motor trader and their business (subject to policy conditions).

Motor Trade Policy Extensions

In addition to the standard road risk insurance on a motor trade policy, there are other extensions and options open to a motor trader to ensure all the trading activities are covered:

  • Demonstration – This extension gives the motor trader the ability to allow a potential buyer to test drive a vehicle prior to purchase. This is an important extension, as many buyers would not consider buying a vehicle without taking it for a test drive first.
  • Test Driving – Allows potential customers to test drive a vehicle they may be looking to buy.
  • Windscreen – Cover for glass repairs and/or replacement for vehicles that may suffer windscreen damage under your care.
  • Motorcycles – This extends your road risk insurance to include the driving of motorcycles.
  • Vehicles in Transit – Covers vehicles being transported on or in your vehicle, were they to be involved in an accident when in transit.
  • Trailers – This extension will enhance your cover to include trailers when they are detached from an insured vehicle.
  • No Claims Bonus Protection – Protects the ‘no claims’ discount that you have earned against fault claims on your policy, subject to policy conditions.
  • Premises Cover – This provides cover for vehicles in the care of the business, stock vehicles and personal vehicles when they are parked up at their home or business premises, for risks such as theft.

Acorn’s dedicated motor trade insurance team will take the time to understand your specific needs. Whether you are a larger organisation or a sole trader operating from home, our agents will take the time to understand your insurance requirements.

At Acorn Insurance we are proud to support the motor trade industry — give Acorn a call today to see how we could help you with your motor trade business: 01704 33 99 28

Road risk insurance icon

About Your Road Risk Policy

If you sell cars, you might need to drive a car to a garage, a customer’s address for delivery, or even take over during an assisted test drive. If you offer a valet service, a customer may leave their car to be cleaned outside of the valet business. This might require you to move the car closer to a water source or to park it in another bay. If you did happen to become involved in an accident whilst moving a vehicle in this way, and you do not have the correct insurance in place, you will not be covered for any damage that might occur.

Acorn’s motor trade road risk insurance policy insures the driver, rather than just a single car or vehicle. This allows you to drive multiple cars – including customer’s vehicles – as part of the service you offer, in relation to your motor trade business.