What is Black Box Insurance?
Black box insurance or telematics insurance is the smart way to get a competitive quote that rewards safe driving. Black box insurance is ideal for drivers aged 17-24 years of age, considered a higher risk by insurers, due to their lack of motoring experience. The black box device monitors driving behaviour and could reward you with cheaper insurance premiums.
Is Black Box Insurance Worth It?
The information collected by your black box measures how safe you are driving and calculates your renewal premium based on your driving performance. This could lead up to as much as a 40% cost reduction at the renewal stage for careful drivers.
The additional benefits of black box insurance with Acorn include:
- Access to a dedicated UK-based call centre
- Theft tracking if your car is stolen
- Direct telephone, text, and email alerts
- Receiving a No Claims Bonus certificate at renewal, if no claims are made
A black box is quick to set up, easy to use and rewards careful customers. Black box data sets the price of your renewal premium based on driving factors like:
- Speed – By adhering to the speed limit this will make you less of a risk to insurers. Also, by driving sensibly you will have more time to react to potential dangers on the road and reduce the risk of being involved in an accident.
- Mileage – If you exceed your monthly mileage allocation this will result in your mileage costs being increased during the policy term. However, should this continue to happen, this could lead to your policy being cancelled.
Why Choose us for Your Black Box Insurance Quote?
We are specialists in insurance for young drivers and with almost 40 years’ experience in providing personal vehicle insurance to UK drivers you are in safe hands. If you are considering black box car insurance to see how much you could save, then simply follow the steps below:
Obtain a quote
Purchase the policy
You can buy online or over the phone and once purchased you will receive complete guidance on your black box installation. We will confirm if the device installation is to be carried out by you or with one of our skilled telematics engineers.
Drive with confidence
Once installed you can drive as normal and a member of our young driver insurance team will contact you with any important updates about your driving.
Black Box Insurance Explained
The policy terms run for 12 months with mileage ranging from 1,000 to 12,000 miles depending on your needs. This is then broken down into a monthly allowance, with your night-time driving allocated 10% of this. If you are concerned about the cost of going over your mileage allowance? Don’t be. At roughly 15p per mile, exceeding your allowance does not cost a fortune and our dedicated young driver insurance experts are on hand to inform you how much you have gone over and how to pay using our simple online payment facility.
Black Box FAQ's
Will black box insurance really make a difference to my premium?
- Driven safely and kept within the speed limits
- Remained within your mileage allowance provided
- Driven carefully during the times set out in the policy documents
- Avoided getting any driving endorsements
You will not receive a reduction of your premium during the initial policy term, however, but having a black box device fitted can allow us to provide a competitive price at quotation stage and renewal.